Popular Posts

Sunday, February 24, 2019

Get an LGBT Role for an Oscar Win



The Oscars is going to be held this Monday morning, Manila time and there are some interesting things I've noticed if some of them win.
If Rami Malek wins Best Actor and Mahershala Ali wins Best Supporting Actor (they are actually the strongest bets) - it will be the first time - I think - that the award went to actors playing famous gay musicians in real life.
Malek as Freddie Mercury and Ali as jazz pianist Don Shirley.
Actors playing gay roles have been Oscar bait for a very long time - Sean Penn (Milk), William Hurt (Children of a Lesser God), Philip Seymour Hoffman (Capote) - are the memorable ones I can think of - all for Best Actor.
Christopher Plummer (Beginners) is the one I can think of - off the top of my head - that won a recent Best Supporting Actor award.
Just imagine if Olivia Colman (Queen Anne and her lesbian dalliances) wins Best Actress - I think it will be the first time - three of the four winners played gay roles!
Interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment