Popular Posts

Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Book Review: Reading an Anita Shreve book is like visiting New England


One of the few remaining things in my bucket list - is to drive through New England, starting from Maine, passing through New Hampshire, Vermont, Rhode Island and Massachusetts - all the way down to Connecticut.
My brother though says it's a bad idea and I asked why - he said 'You're not white. They'll shoot you there."
Anyhow, my love affair with New England started a long long time ago - loving it's quaint towns and the marked changing of the seasons and it has continued to this day.
Anita Shreve is one writer who sets most of her novels in New England - and this one, Sea Glass - she puts in New Hampshire.
I think this is the fourth novel of hers that I've read - Weight of Water, Resistance, The Pilot's Wife - and once again, she writes women characters who are strong and have a mind of their own.
What I thought was just another love story turns into a bit of a political thriller as the lives of the main characters are turned upside down due to a catastrophic economic slowdown.
Vivian, is the character I love most here - because she resembles me. Tough, caring, intuitive and a realist. She also has money so it's good that she helps some of the characters in the book.
I also love McDermott and he reminds me of me sometimes - kinda slow in love, a little naive - but sure about his feelings.
The confluence of real life events - the mill strikes - and the violent clashes between the police and the striking workers - remind me of the days when the Philippines was still in economic doldrums.
The clash of the have's and the have-nots reach tragic consequences and the new bonds that form afterwards show you that life moves on even after so much death and strife.

No comments:

Post a Comment