Popular Posts

Friday, July 12, 2019

Movie Review: Ma and All Her Good Looking Boys





I haven't seen a movie in a theater for sometime now because it's summer in the US and traditionally, it's the time I shy away from theaters because I don't really watch blockbuster movies.

But once in a while, some producers do counter programming (i.e. Rocketman) and they release movies which go against the tide.

Ma is one of them and although I did have a lot of fun watching the movie - (for the wrong reasons, LOL), it offered nothing original that I haven't seen before.

In the movie, Octavia Spencer is like Kathy Bates in Misery - maintaining two facades to her persona.

However, Stephen King is a master of horror fiction - and he has thought out Kathy Bates' character thoroughly that she is really a scary daughter-of-a-bitch in that movie!

Octavia, with all her acting powers, strives not to look like a caricature but she really does her best to give her character some humanity.

There was one particular scene where the audience cringed at what she did to a teenage boy - and you can hear the audience give a collective "Eeeewwwwww". That's when I knew she was doing a good job in the movie. Nasuka ang mga bata sa kanya!

As for me, I have followed Octavia's career since her Oscar-winning turn in The Help (Tate Taylor directed that and this mess of a movie as well - what happened Tate?), and her do-gooder characters in Hidden Figures and The Shape of Water.

So everytime I see her, I see the 'good' Octavia, when I'm supposed to see the 'bad' Octavia.

Anyhow, for gay men, the boys in this movie are adorable. I don't know their names yet, but the two boys in the 'cool' barkada' are adorable - not in the Disney - adorable way - but in the Abercrombie & Fitch - "I have a model's profile" type of adorable.

There is a scene where you'd love Octavia with what she does to one of the boys - that actor certainly looks yum yum.

Octavia's character also does something which I have never seen in a movie before.

Was that really a d*** she was holding? Of course, the audience gasped, not because of the d*** but because she was going to Lorena Bobbit it!

I also learned later on that Luke Evans, the actor who owns the d*** is actually gay in real life. One hot gay Daddy lol - his son in the movie is not bad looking as well.

Anyway, the movie is a slow burn so relax in the first hour as the director tries to introduce everyone and their back stories (translation, nothing horrorific happens) but it quickly descends into a bloody rampage, especially in the last 30 minutes.









No comments:

Post a Comment