Popular Posts

Monday, April 8, 2019

Movie Review: Rabbit Hole Dredges the Right Emotions



I watched Rabbit Hole last week and it has been sitting on my DVD shelf for almost a decade!
I bought it because Nicole Kidman was nominated here for an Oscar Best Actress in the year Natalie Portman won for Black Swan.
However, I guess, since the theme is about grieving over the death of a child, I postponed watching it till it was its time - 9 years later! Buti na lang buhay pa DVD player ko lol
Now I know why Miles Teller was cast in Whiplash. He's so magnificent here - if he only behaved - he would've been a true blue A list actor now but his loud foul mouth has put him in the 'Don't Hire' folder of most Hollywood A list directors, tsk tsk........
And Sandra Oh - OMG, she's really foxy! I thought there'd be a scene where she and Aaron would make out. This woman is a real vixen. Makes me wanna watch Killing Eve na tuloy and find out why they love her there!
If only Natalie Portman did not have to do or fake her ballet scenes in Black Swan, Nicole would've won her second Oscar, I think.
She's so good here - I mean - her beauty is so distracting but never for a minute would you doubt that her character just lost her son.
Aaron Eckhart as Nicole's husband is just as good and I love how the playwright introduces the sequence of events and who these people are.
My favorite actress, Dianne Wiest is a great support here as her character has also dealt with a son dying but her reaction is opposite to that of Nicole's character.
Nothing is dumped on you in one scene in this movie. I love that we feel we are just eavesdropping on this woman's life. We learn bits and pieces of the accident, of the boy and of the characters as the story unfolds.
From the middle part, once she met up with the driver who killed her son - I was rooting for her character to finally reach inside of her and forgive the boy and just accept that it was an accident.
The title was created by the character of Miles Teller and I think it was his way of dealing with what he had done to this couple.
Imagine, I ran over a rat one time, and I couldn't sleep because I could feel that hump that caused the poor creatures death. Tao pa kaya - and in this movie - a 4-year old child.
That would not be easy to get over with.

No comments:

Post a Comment