Popular Posts

Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Movie Review: 'Captive State' - I Should Be Rooting for the Humans, Shouldn't I?




Another movie that was shown here for only four days before the Avengers Endgame juggernaut opened was the sci-fi movie Captive State.
I love the recent crop of sci-fi movies that Hollywood has released (Ex-Machina, Overlord, A Quiet Place) so I decided to check this movie.
I also have immense respect for John Goodman and Vera Farmiga as character actors, so since they are here - I was expecting something meaty and interesting.
Alas, there is a problem with the script and its continuity. The premise of the story is very interesting. The Earth has been conquered by an alien force - so we have no more governments - and it is the aliens who rule us. We are their slaves and we help them extract all our natural resources.
There are no cellphones and communication has gone back to the olden times (using pigeons, newspapers).
So a ragtag group of human rebels decide to strike at the heart of the aliens' base and the movie shows how the plan is carried out.
Love the premise but the execution is so poor. I got lost in the plot of the story as it shifted focus from one brother to another then to Farmiga, then to Goodman.
At a certain point of the movie, I just gave up trying to understand everything and just sat back and relaxed. Funny is, it took some time also for me to fully grasp the gravity of what happened in the ending!
Ang bagal ng reaction ng lolo mo! Pano naman, there is no central character - even if John Goodman looks like he's it, the focus is also on the brothers.
Vera Farmiga also plays a very central role but is severely underutilized in the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment